So you’ve decided to breastfeed your little bundle of joy… Good for you mama!!!
You know the benefits of breastfeeding & you’re ready to roll up your sleeves (more like unbutton your blouse) and get it done…
Ok, so before you read on, I just need to give you this quick disclaimer….
(I wrote this post as a sort of tongue & cheek way of making light of some of the lows of breastfeeding. It is in no way meant to discourage any woman from doing the most amazingly natural & beautiful thing…. nursing! I wrote it in the middle of the night just to give myself a good giggle about my discouragement at times with nursing… I hope YOU get a good giggle out of it as well).
Now let’s make sure you’re TOTALLY prepared for what’s ahead….
Read books on the subject… Check!
Take baby classes on nursing at your local hospital… Check!
Join a support group online (trust me you’re going to need it)… Check!
Contact your local La Leche League to ask any last minute questions… Check!
So you’re ready to go? Right?
Take 2 more minutes to read my top 10 brutally honest SECRETS about breastfeeding I SO wish someone had shared with me!
Trust me- you’ll thank me later when none of these catch you by surprise!
- You’ll DEFINITELY want to quit about a 10 times a day… No exaggeration!
- Your twins- your girls, your boobs, whatever you call them are not the same… And they will not necessarily respond the same to nursing.
- We all know we can’t eat sushi, spicy foods, etc while nursing, but those splurges don’t come close to the PAIN of giving up your morning latte.
- Those little hands are busy discovering the world around them… part of that world is your other exposed nipple, which they will pinch… HARD!
- If you plan on using a pump, you will soon know what it feels like to be a milked barn animal. Yes, it’s every bit as weird as you imagine it to be.
- Your new daily struggle & goal will be to not get engorged so just go ahead and mentally prepare yourself for around the clock warm compresses.
- Your husband will undoubtedly get the privilege of witnessing you in some very awkward positions as you nurse, like doggy style nursing. YAY!
- If/when you decide to wean- whether it’s at 5 days, 5 months or 5 years after successful nursing… doesn’t matter! You will likely feel mom guilt… It’s real & it SUCKS!
- Unlike that vacation in Miami you gave up to afford motherhood, your boobs will most certainly be visiting a more southern hemisphere.
- Despite ALL the hiccups above, if YOU just keep repeating to yourself “I CAN DO THIS” a 100 times a day…. YOU CAN & WILL TOTALLY ROCK THIS!